Post Graduate Work Permit

Post Graduate Work Permit

If you graduated from a Designated Learning Institution and want to stay and work in Canada temporarily, you may be eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit.  This is a significant opportunity for you if it is your hope to make a future application for permanent residence in Canada as it will allow you to gain Canadian work experience. 

If you have previously been issued a post graduate work permit, you cannot apply again – this permit is a one-time opportunity. The length of your PGWP depends on the length of your program of study but will never be longer than 3 years.

Eligibility requirements for a post-graduation work permit:

  • You must be 18 or older when you apply.
  • You must have studied full-time at an eligible post-secondary institution (continuously) in a program of at least 8 months duration.
  • You must have successfully completed your program and have proof from your school (transcript, official letter, certificate, etc.).
  • You must have a valid study permit when you apply.
  • You must apply within 90 days of graduation.

The PWGP is also unique in that you are allowed to work full time once you have submitted the application and before you receive an approval on your application, so long as:

  • You successfully completed your study program;
  • You applied for the PGWP before your study permit expired; and
  • You complied with the off campus working conditions of your study permit (you did not work more hours than you were allowed to while working off-campus).

However, if your PGWP is ultimately refused, you must stop working immediately once you are notified about the refusal.

The PGWP is a unique opportunity for foreign students to gain valuable Canadian work experience and we understand the importance of submitting a complete and accurate application.  We are happy to provide you with advice and can prepare your application for you or review an application before it is submitted. 

Set Up A Consultation

Scroll to Top