Study Permits

Study Permits and Student Visas

Most foreign nationals need a study permit to study in Canada but there are some exceptions:

  • your course or program of study is for six months or less
  • your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
  • you will complete all your studies within the time you have been approved to stay in Canada (usually six months after you enter).

With some exceptions, a study permit application must be made before you come to Canada.  What you need for a study permit application:

  • an acceptance letter from the learning institution
  • a valid passport or travel document
  • Sufficient funds for tuition, living expenses in Canada and funds to return to your home country

Your application will need to demonstrate that:

  • You have no criminal record and are not a risk to the security of Canada.
  • You are in good health.
  • You will leave Canada at the end of your studies.
  • In some circumstances you many need to provide a Police Certificate and/or complete a medical exam.

Applications can be made by paper application or online.  Processing times vary depending on the country where you are applying. 

Need Help With Your Application?

Please contact us for further details and advice on studying in Canada or extending your study permit in Canada.  We are happy to assist you with your application or review an application before you submit.  If you have been refused a study permit, we can also review your application and the reasons for the rejection and advise on possible causes or issues and offer advice on how to proceed.

Set Up A Consultation

Scroll to Top